Saturday, January 16, 2010

I can do more, but Christ can do the most.

"And so I struggled on with worship and teaching that had ceased to be real. Until one drizzly raw afternoon when just enough light came through the window to read by, I cam to Paul's account of his 'thorn in the flesh.' Three times, he said, he had begged God to take away his weakness, whatever it was. And each time God had said, Rely on Me. At last Paul concluded -the words seemed to leap from the page- that his very weakness was something to give thanks for. Because now Paul knew that none of the wonder and miracles that followed his ministry could be due to his own virtues. It was all Christ's strength, never Paul's. And there is was. The truth blazed like sunlight into the shadows...The real sin lay in thinking that any power to help and transform came from me. Of course it was not my wholeness, but Christ's, that made the difference." - Corrie ten Boom, "The Hiding Place"




Yesterday I had a beautiful experience. I got an email from a friend who I have been worried about and was able to comfort them. They replied saying that the words and quotes I had shared with them had been a strength to them in a time of great need. I was pleased to have been able to help this person that I love so much, but I realized that I can do more, that I need to make more room for the Spirit in my life so that I can be prepared with even better answers when I am called to give them.


After that experience, my roommate and I went to see the BYU "Living Legends" show. It is an amazing celebration of Native American, Latin American and Polynesian music and dance. This is a video of the last number, entitled "Go My Son." I couldn't help crying through the whole thing. It shows children preparing to leave their families and make a difference in the world. It reminded me of why I am here at school and on this earth, actually. I am here to work, to get an education, and to serve others with what I learn. Not to get a job and make money, but to serve.



And after that inspiring show, I came home and read the Carrie ten Boom quote that I started this post with. And I realized that while I can do more, I need to do it in the right way; I need to do more in an attitude of leading others to Christ, for as Miss ten Boom wrote, "Of course it was not my wholeness, but Christ's, that made the difference."




"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." -2 Nephi 25:23

No comments:

Post a Comment