Saturday, April 3, 2010

General Conference


Photo by Doug Merrill.

Today I've been watching General Conference. And it has been beautiful.

We went up to beautiful Temple Square and watched the morning session in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, the afternoon session in the Conference Center.

The addresses were uplifting, inspirational, hopeful, and timely. But the Spirit they brought was even better. I was overwhelmed with hope, joy, peace, trust in the Lord, and most of all, a reassurance of God's love for me.

I wept when I saw the statue of John Rowe Moyle and another statue of Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration. I wept as I listened to Sister Beck's talk on the nature and responsibilities of womanhood. I wept as Elder Wilford W. Andersen addressed depression and reminded us that "hope, happiness and joy are not products of circumstance but of faith in the Savior." I wept as I realized how much my Redeemer has changed me over the last 6 months. And I wept again when the Spirit revealed changes I needed to make, complemented with the assurance that, as Elder Richard G. Scott said, "when the call comes, the ability follows."

I wept a lot.

I am continually amazed at how the Lord stretches me, shapes me and refines me. I am in awe at how He has been able to transform my soul. I still have so much I can improve on, but I know that my God will help me with that. He has helped me through everything else, and I know that He will not abandon me now.

I am also amazed to learn about God's plans for my life. In these last few months, He has taught me so much about the work He specifically wants me to do. He has helped me to see my role in His plan, to cherish it and to better appreciate the role that others play in the plan. Roles that I could not play, but that I rely on all the same.

I am amazed at the power of the Atonement. Because Jesus Christ lived, paid the great Atoning sacrifice, died, and was resurrected, we each have the opportunity to receive a fullness of joy. We will live again in perfected bodies. We can be forgiven for our sins. We can receive divine help and guidance. We can learn to love and forgive as Christ did. Our pain can be healed. We can have a personal relationship with Heavenly Father and learn His plan of each of us individually. We can have joy and peace in this life, no matter what the circumstances. We can return to live with God again. We can have families that will last forever. We can grow and progress through all eternity.


I know that Jesus Christ lives. He is the reason why I rejoice.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful blog. You remind me each time the love Jesus has for us. God Bless you

    ReplyDelete