Wednesday, April 7, 2010

All is well! All is well!

With the end of the semester fast approaching, everyone seems to be talking about their summer plans - staying in school, going home, internships, field studies and study abroad programs. There are signs from the Kennedy Center posted all over campus with sayings such as "Enter to learn go forth to serve - but where?" and "Let's get you out of Provo."

Those signs really annoy me. To me, they imply that my BYU education isn't complete, isn't good enough without studying abroad. And frankly, this is not so.

Last year, 10,409 students applied to BYU. 68% were accepted. This means that 3,331 applicants were denied a BYU education. And some of us treat our BYU education so flippantly, even murmuring about it at times. To my fellow BYU students, please do not complain about your blessings.

When I was in high school, I was one of those 10,409 applicants who longed to go to BYU. I dreamed of the day when I could go to a school where 98% of the students believed the same things I did, where 97% of my male classmates would be returned missionaries.
In a high school with drug busts, rampant cheating, and no dress code whatsoever, I could not wait to go to a university where the Honor Code was enforced and even revered. I longed to attend religion classes and devotionals, to live in an enviornment where we would learn "even by study and also by faith" (D&C 88:118). Most of all, I hungered for eternal relationships, for friends who would truly understand appreciate the person I am, friends who would help me become more like Jesus Christ.

In those days of waiting and wishing, my soul found comfort in the LDS hymn "Come, Come ye Saints." It was the anthem of my pioneer forebears as they pulled handcarts to Utah. I was making my own trek to Utah with more modern conveniences, but with my own struggles. I too was a pioneer. I too could be strengthened by God. And even today when I sing these words, He truly strengthens me.

Come, come, ye saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.

Tis better far for us to strive our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell -
All is well! All is well!

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
'Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward if we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell-
All is well! All is well!

We'll find the place which God for us prepared,
Far away, in the West,
Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
There the saints, will be blessed.
We'll make the air, with music ring, Shout praises to our God and King;
Above the rest these words we'll tell -
All is well! All is well!

Now this dream has been realized. I am finishing up my second year at the amazing institution that is Brigham Young University. And as excited as I am to return home to my family in 2 weeks, I am going to miss this beautiful place.

A place where we are encircled by the beautiful Wasatch mountains.

A place where temples abound.

A place where I never have to worry about people swearing, drinking or smoking.

A place where students respect the campus, creating a beautiful environment where the Spirit can dwell.


A place where it's normal for students to bring their infants to class and talk to their grandparents on the phone.

A place where people treat each other with love, respect, and kindness.

A place where I can leave my belongings unattended in the cafeteria and know that they will not be stolen.

A place with beautiful, uplifting art.

A place where buses display pictures of families instead of ads for sleazy TV shows.

A place where we sing and pray before our classes.

A place with amazing choral, dance, athletic and academic programs.

A place where I get to study, work, worship and play with incredible people.

A place where we play Quidditch on Friday nights.

A place where I have found friends who let me be my true self.
A place where I have grown tremendously.


I am so grateful that I, like my pioneer ancestors, made it to Utah. I love it here. And I raise my voice with theirs, testifying that "All is well! All is well!"

4 comments:

  1. Yay Tahsa! I love it when you post! and you always have awesome pictures! I wish I would have gone to play quidditch last week! It looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post Tasha! I totally know what you mean. I don't know why people get so excited about leaving Provo. Studying abroad is cool and all, but now that I'm going away to Texas (obviously not as cool as studying abroad) and not coming back to BYU until January, it's really depressing. I wish I could stay in Provo for longer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to this post. BYU is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay you are right. byu is great.
    did you take all those pictures? because they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete