Wednesday, August 18, 2010

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” - Pablo Picasso

As frustrating as Education Week can be, with the crowds and Utah hair and indecisiveness when it comes to ordering Jamba Juice, I love it. I love going to the classes and learning new things, I love watching sweet families interact, and I especially love the LDS art show and the opportunity to meet the artists. 

This morning I went to a class taught by Rita Wright who works at the campus museum. She talked about the upcoming Carl Heinrich Bloch exhibition and I am so excited. Denmark is lending us a bunch of Bloch's altarpieces and other genre paintings. The LDS community loves to use them in prints, but seeing them in person is an entirely different experience. Some of the pieces coming to the museum are "The Doubting Thomas", "Woman at the Well", and one of my favorites, "Gethsemane".

Carl Heinrich Bloch, "Gethsemane (Altarpiece)"

It's going to be a breathtaking exhibition, and if you live in Utah you should attend! It runs from November 12th to May 7th.

And as if that wasn't enough, this afternoon I happened to wander in the bookstore just as all the big LDS artists were unveiling their new works! There were some breathtaking pieces, but this one is my favorite.


Emily Pugmire is a young artist and not as well known as some of the other big shots there. I found her booth just as she was sitting down and got to meet her, her husband, and new baby. I bought a print of this piece and she signed it for me. How I wish I could have bought a full-sized framed one! But for now my little 5x7 will do and remind me of this special day, as well as my Savior who has "graven [me] upon the palms of [his] hands" (see Isaiah 49:16).

1 comment:

  1. ooh, that's one exhibit I'll be wandering through. I have Carl Bloch prints all over my house.

    ReplyDelete