Tuesday, August 5, 2008

God Bless? He already has.



Wow, life at BYU is crazy, but there is nowhere else I'd rather be!

Last week my family came into town to visit me after dropping Megan off at EFY in Cedar. On Monday we went to Smart Cookie and the cool fountain in the JFSB courtyard. It was so fun to show them all of my favorite spots in Provo and lay on the grass in the shade just chatting. Tuesday after class we went to the Museum Of Art, SubZero ice cream (where they freeze the ice cream right before your eyes with liquid nitrogen!), the duck pond, and hiked the Y. Feeding the ducks was way fun because there were some crazy EFY counselors having a picnic who started sucking helium and singing EFY songs...haha. ANd then James decided it would be fun to send his stuffed turtle down the waterfall and it got stuck under the "bridge." And of course my father, since the turtle cost $6, spent 10 whole minutes trying to get it unstuck....and he did! And hiking the Y was cool too! It's a gorgeous view of the whole Utah valley, and some nice exercise. I haven't been hiking for the longest time, so I really enjoyed it :] The only bad part was having to say goodbye to my family. It was one of the few times I've seen my sweet little brother cry tears of sorrow. I'm so blessed to have an eternal family and the knowledge that we are sealed together FOREVER. What a sweet experience their visit was!

I've not been too happy with my Deseret Book job here, and have been praying very hard to find an on-campus job for the last few weeks. Talking to my parents about it last Tuesday, I felt really sad and hopeless. It was a total tender mercy from the Lord when on Wednesday I found a posting for Jamba Juice on the job board! I had an interview Thursday, which went really well, and on Saturday I found out that I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't think of a more perfect opportunity - a chance to try something new and be closer to home! I am still amazed and so thankful to the Lord for this incredible blessing. Tomorrow is my last day at DB, which will be a little awkward, but I am rejoicing in this new opportunity.

So I've been worrying like crazy again the last few days (what else is new?) with my job change, finals, moving out, money, etc. I was blessed with the assignment to read this great talk from Elder Bednar about faith in learning. The part that touched me was about the principle in Ether 12:6 "dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." I realized that right now the Lord wants me to be like the Israelites and take a step into the Red Sea before He parts it for me. He is using this experience to try and grow my faith. I know that I am in His hands and that as I do my best to follow Him, I have no need to fear. What a sweet promise. In my Living Prophets class on Monday, we talked about another great talk from Elder Bednar, "The Tender Mercies of the Lord." Everyone in class shared their experiences with His tender mercies, which reminded me of the thousands of small blessings He has poured out upon me lately:

My family coming to visit
My new job!
Help in my schoolwork
the internet to keep in touch with friends and family across the world
Getting into BYU!
The funds to go to BYU (my mom calls them "scholarships from God")
Friends at BYU
So many people who love me!
Opportunities to learn and serve
Reading talks and scriptures right when I need them
Trials to help me grow
A testimony of the gospel
My American Humanities class
An eternal family (who I look forward to spending eternity with!)
Righteous parents who taught me true happiness
A healthy body
A happy happy life
The fulness of the everlasting gospel in my life
The Atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and the opportunity to become like Him!

Hearing everyone's experiences gave me the faith and hope I needed at that moment to trust in the Lord as I have to step forward in the darkness. As I was reminded of how Heavenly Father had done miracles for all of them, and for me, I was reassured that He is taking care of me! I just need to be more patient with His timing.

I know I say this all the time, but Christ lives. He knows me and you. He is mindful of us and is truly in control of our lives. He is the only way to true, eternal happiness and everlasting life. His love is the only power that can heal the pains of mortality - jealously, worry, sin, grief, sorrow, embarassment, loss, anger, hatred. I know without a doubt that He can heal us all, but only if we come unto Him. Please do. His arms are always open. God is your loving Father and wants nothing more than your happiness. Don't hesitate in drawing closer to Him. It is something you will never regret. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. He restored the fulness of the Gospel to this earth. He translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God. It is an amazing book with the power to change lives. It has changed mine! Study it and you will learn "all things that ye should do." I know that Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet today. I know that the Lord's tender mercies are available for all, and that as you look for them in your own life you will find them. I bear this solemn testimony in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. missed your wonderful spirit at camp this year, but megan was such a joy to have- not that i have favorites- but she was definitely one of them. again missed you and i love u lots and lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha, You sweet thing! You always make we want to be better. Take care and enjoy your new job.

    ReplyDelete