Sunday, September 13, 2009

CES Fireside


Sister Elaine S. Dalton spoke at the CES fireside tonight, and it was incredibly moving. She spoke of the power of virtue and the need we have for a return to virtue in our world today. Sister Dalton proclaimed that the core of virtue is chastity and we can't be honest or have integrity without living a chaste life. I had never thought about that before, but it is so true. I can't think of any unchaste person who is honest and full of integrity! We are the ones to lead the world in its return to virtue - for if not us, then who will do so?

Sister Dalton also reminded us that "The temple is the reason we do everything in the church," and that we cannot get distracted from making it there! We must be virtuous in order to do this.

A wonderful choir performed this gorgeous song that I had never heard before. It's called "I Marvel at the Miracle" with lyrics by John V. Pearson. They are as moving as the lyrics. I have a link the full set, but here is my favorite part:

I pled with God to shed his grace
And take away my sin.
He did and, yet, I turned away
And stumbled once again.
At last I knelt before His throne
And offered Him my soul.
He wept, then gave it back to me
Renewed, and washed, and whole.

I wonder at the grace divine
And power to redeem;
That Christ alone could overcome
And change eternity.
My thanks cannot sufficient be.
My praise is incomplete.
For all I pay, my debt remains
For God's great gift to me.


How grateful I am to have living prophets and the Atonement of Christ in my life! I pray that I may find ways to use my tremendous blessings with my fellow brothers and sisters.

1 comment:

  1. I ran across your blog when I was trying to google search a text version of Sister Dalton's address. The fireside had me in tears for a better part of it - she spoke with such an amazing spirit, I love it! And I, too, loved that part of the music. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete