Sunday, September 7, 2008

1 day, 3 Apostles




This morning I attended over 100 stake conferences! Okay, well it wasn’t that hard. We had a regional conference for 120 something stakes in Utah and Wasatch Valleys held in the Marriott Center. We heard from Elder Marvin K. Jensen of the Seventy, Sister Ann Monson Dibbs of the Young Women General Presidency, Elder Boyd K. Packer, and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. All of their addresses were wonderful, but I especially enjoyed President Uchtdorf’s. He spoke of the importance of strengthening our relationship with the Savior through living worthy of a temple recommend and strengthening marriages and families. I feel that in my special situation that I am able to strengthen my family by sharing my testimony through the letters I have writing them. It is an incredible privilege for me to be able to attend this university, and I loving sharing what I have learned with them. Even though I don't get many letters back, I hear that they are a great strength to my younger cousins and help my grandparents feel like a part of my life. And I feel like "the hearts of the children are turning to their fathers." :]


Then we had an AMAZING CES fireside with Elder Holland tonight...3 Apostles in one day!!! Elder Holland spoke about three things we can learn from Joseph Smith's experience in the "prison-temple" of Liberty Jail: everyone goes through trials and God does not abandon them, the path to salvation always goes through Gethsemane, and the rights of the priesthood are inseperably connected with the powers of Heaven. Then he pronounced a beautiful Apostolic blessing upon our congregation in the Marriott center and all those watching the broadcast across the world. Elder Holland blessed us to know that God loves us and will NEVER leave us, and that He wants us to succeed! Elder Holland blessed the bretheren that they would recieve the priesthood blessings outlined in sections 121-123 if they lived worthy, and those blessings would assist them in their preisthood duties. He blessed us sisters that we may know of how the Church - and the world - loves us and needs us, and he blessed that all the righteous desires we hold in our hearts tonight will be granted to us. This made me weep with peace and gratitude because I have so many righteous desires held up in my heart right now. I want to be able to do well in school and work and my calling, when I finally recieve one. I want to be able to find the finances to continue school and buy some snow clothes! I want to find out if I should switch my major and what course the Lord wants me to pursue in my education. I want to be able to have the Spirit in my home to help my roommate learn of the truth of this gospel. I want to be a strength to my home and family. I want to be a strength to Brian as he has been called as Executive Secretary and has other pressures on him, but keep a balance of loving him and meeting new friends as well. I want to be able to find a wonderful man to be sealed to for all eternity, raise a family with him, support in all his callings and trials and triumphs, and share eternal glory with him. When Elder Holland blessed me with this, I knew that the Lord is with me in my moments of trial and that He knows my heart. He wants me to succeed and will help me do so!!! It is possible!!! I know that I can conquer my weaknesses and shortcomings, but only with His help. I've tried it alone and failed too many times. Finally, Elder Holland blessed us that faith always triumphs and God's promises are always kept! Then he clearly and slowly told us, "Hold on thy way, fear not, God shall be with you forever and ever." What powerful promises from a beloved Apostle and Prophet! I just wanted to run down the stairs and embrace him. And then the incredible choir sang one of my favorite songs, "My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee." It was such an incredible day. I know that with the Lord on my side and my testimony built firmly on the rock of my Redeemer, I "cannot fall."

"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose

I will not, I cannot, desert to His foes;

That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,

I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never,

I'll never, no never, no never forsake!"

-How firm a foundation


3 comments:

  1. i love elder holland. e has always been one of my fav's. even if i'm not supposed to have favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love.love.LOVE. your new do!keep in mind..i'm doing your hair when you get married! have fun up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this talk!!! I found it on the BYU speeches website a few weeks ago and it is amazing! It is now one of mine and my husbands favorite talks! You are so lucky that you got to be there and hear it live!

    ReplyDelete